Thanksgiving is this Thursday, which means that the holiday travel season is just about to begin! This means that Oklahoma roads and highways are going to be busy, and where there is more traffic, there is a greater opportunity for serious and potentially fatal accidents. Although you might not be able to do anything about the traffic, there’s still plenty you can do to reduce your chance of being involved in an accident.
At the Law Offices of Dan Davis, we care about your safety. Consider this list of safe driving tips to get you from point A to point B safely this holiday season:
- Take your car to a mechanic for a tune-up before going on a long car trip. Your mechanic can ensure that your engine, headlights, windshield wipers, brakes, and other essentials are in good working order so that you can avoid a preventable maintenance-based incident on the road.
- Leave early if you can to avoid peak travel times. Being flexible with your schedule can make a big difference!
- If you will be traveling a long distance, make sure that you stop every hour or two to take a rest break. Taking the time to get some fresh air, stretch your legs, and have a snack will keep you fresh and prevent instances of fatigued driving – both of which can be very dangerous.
- Avoid the temptation to drive aggressively in traffic due to impatience to get to your destination. Traffic can be frustrating, but things like speeding, tailgating, and unsafe lane changes are not only dangerous – they are not going to get you to your destination any faster!
- Intoxicated driving tends to spike around the holidays. If your holiday plans will involve alcohol, make sure you designate a sober driver in case you need transportation. This should be figured out before you begin drinking.
All of us here at the Law Offices of Dan Davis wish you and your loved ones a safe and happy holiday season!
If you have been injured in a car accident and have questions about what to do next, we invite you to contact our office to learn more about your legal rights. An Oklahoma City personal injury attorney at our firm would be happy to review your case free of charge. Call us at (405) 531-9983 to get started.